As we all know I love autumn. Unfortunately, no-one seems to have told the weather that it is autumn. The mornings are slightly cooler, but over all, it’s still far too sunny and warm for my liking. Hopefully the leaves will start to turn soon. Until then, I had to make do with dreaming about autumn leaves by hooking up this Autumn Leaves Slouch.
The pattern is from moogly. You can find it here. I have actually made this slouch before – last Christmas I gifted it to a friend.
The yarn is Baa Ram Ewe Dovestone DK. This hat used just 50m, which was perfect as I had half a ball left from the Column Beanie I made for my fiance some time ago.
The hat is worked with a 5mm for the body and a 3.75mm for the brim. I used a 4mm though for the brim, as I have a large nogin so wanted it a little looser.
Wow this hat making has me yearning for autumn. I cant wait for the cooler nights, the warm spices, the oranges and brown of nature. Its my favourite time of year.
Recently I shared with you my Sequoia Ridge slouch. This time I am sharing with you my finished Autumn Leaves Slouch. A pattern by Tamara Kelly, which you can find here.
First of all, I would point out that this hat is definately not for beginners nor for people who want a mindless project. It does require a lot of concentration and also for me it required the learning of a new technique.
Have you heard of the Chainless Starting Double Crochet? I hadnt but from now on I can see myself using it a lot. It eliminates the gaping you get with the standard method (ch 3). You can find the tutorial video I used here. They have a left handed version which was extra useful – I can learn new things using right handed videos but it is a lot easier if there is a left handed option!
It did take me longer and tire my eyes out from all the concentration and having to refer back to the pattern every few minutes but I think that is justified by the finished result!
I really struggled to get a pic of the pattern but it is lovely and lacey. I can just imagine it keeping someone snuggly.
I did mod the pattern a little. In the interest of conserving yarn I took out 2 rows from the repeat (row 18 and 19)
The brim was huge though. Perhaps my tension was a bit loose or something. To fix it, In row 20 where you should put 2 single stitches into every ch 2 space (of which there are 24), I only put 2 in half of them. The other 12 I only put 1 single stitch into.
And as an added bonus – I had just enough yarn left over after finishing the Autumn Leaves Slouch that I was able to make the pefect pom pom for the Sequoia Ridge Slouch I shared yesterday. Here it is with its pom pom.
Whats next. Time to go back to the ravelry que.