A new Pencil Case

So today is my first day of Signalling school, so what better time to share with you my latest finished project – a new Pencil case.

I used some spare Scheepjes Catona I had in my stash from when I made a gingerbread house Christmas wreath last Christmas. The wreath required double stranded crochet so I still had a ball of double wound Catona languishing in my stash. So out it came, to make me a small pencil case.

I didn’t follow a pattern – I made it up as I went along. And once I finish Signalling school and no longer need it to transport my pens to and fro, I can use it to transport crochet hoos instead. Bonus!

My First FO of 2019

Yays! I am pleased to share with you my first finished project of 2019 – a little pouch to hold my new folding keyboard, a gift from my fiance who was worried about my carpal tunnel. Bless his little cotton sock, he does look after me – I didnt even know such a thing existed.

anyways, here is my pouch. I didnt follow any sort of pattern. I crocheted 2 pannels of star stitch that matched the size of my keyboard, with one 3 starts taller than the other to add a flap. Then added 2 rows of single stitch around the edge of the rectangle. I then stitched the rectangles together with a third row of single crochet and finished it off with scallop edging. finally I added pair of buttons to secure the flap. 

This is crocheted in 45g of Scheepjes Sunkissed. 

And of course, the cat wanted in on the photo shoot, so here she is:

Esja MAL Week 5

Today marks the last official day of the MAL. By this point I was supposed to have finished the jumper. However, with christmas crafting completely taking over, I have little time to crochet other stuff! However, I have now completely finished the brioche section and the short rows and have seperated for the body. 

I will continue to post weekly, to see how much longer it takes, but I am determined to finish by the end of the year. 

This is the Esja Sweater (You can purchase the pattern here), by Tatsiana, of Lillia Bjorn Crochet. This is a month long Make along which Tatsiana is holding on her facebook group here

Esja MAL Week 4

Whoopsy! I am getting further behind with the MAL. By this point I was hoping to be at the point of seperating the front and back for the sleeves. Unfortunately I am only just finishing brioche section 2. But I still hope to finish by Christmas! But now I need to focus a bit on christmas gifts! 

This is the Esja Sweater (You can purchase the pattern here), by Tatsiana, of Lillia Bjorn Crochet. This is a month long Make along which Tatsiana is holding on her facebook group here

Cahlista Trivet

Popping in to share with you another finished object. I made this Gems Hot Pad.
I used Scheepjes Cahlista. The pattern is Gems Hot Pad by Phyllis Wortman. You can find the pattern here.

I failed to read the pattern accurately, so there are too many bobbles on the final round. But over all it still looks lovely. 

Paired with the oven glove I posted about on Tuesday, thats 18 gifts completed, just 4 gifts to go! 

Esja MAL Week 3

Whilst there is no rigid breakdown of the parts of the MAL, I didnt quite reach the rough goal set for this week. 

I managed to make the next row of increases and a few rows past that but this is very much a crochet at home project at the mo (what with the multiple strands and all) and I have been working nights so havent had much time for crocheting in the evening. Very good for my christmas projects but not so much for this. Hopefully I will catch up next week. 

This is the Esja Sweater (You can purchase the pattern here), by Tatsiana, of Lillia Bjorn Crochet. This is a month long Make along which Tatsiana is holding on her facebook group here

A Crocheted Oven Glove

I was scratching my head for ages about what to make for my soon to be father-in-law. Then I saw a pattern for a crocheted oven glove and I thought – wehey! Thats perfect (he is in the process of starting a new career in cooking and generally loves to cook). I bought the pattern immediately. And this week whilst I have been on nights I finally got started.

This pattern requires two strands of worsted weight yarn held together. I used Scheepjes Cahlista. The pattern is Hot Mitt Gift Set by Kristen Stoltzfus. You can find it here

I have to be honest though. I struggled with many areas of the pattern. First of all I had an issue wth the length. The pattern photo makes it look quite large, but it was actually quite small – I had to add an extra row above the thumb hole and an extra row in the thumb hole section in order to make it long enough. And I was using a hook size up from the patterns suggestion! 

My second issue was with the thumb. The original thumb worked up really weird. It just wasnt the shape you would expect a thumb to be. It was too short and narrow. I tried adding a few extra increase rounds to it but it just didnt work. As you can see above. 

So I made a second thumb, completely of my own designing and I think it worked out better. It sits much better on the glove and fits the thumb much better. I made the top of the thumb a little wider, then continued with straight rounds until it was the correct length. Then I did a few short rows back and forth (getting 2 stitches shorter each time) to create the extra length required around the base of the thumb.