Another Test – The Bedrock Beanie

Hello all!

I was super excited last weekend to be chosen to test a Beanie Pattern for Black Rose Stitches. Here is my finished Beanie!

I used my skein of Carolina DK by third vault yarns which I purchased at Yarndale. The pattern really shows off the subtle variegation of this yarn.

I actually made 2 of these hats. Here is the first.

The pattern is written with varying instructions to account for the differecne in weight between commecial and hand dyed yarn. The fist hat reached the required width for the brim but was too small for me once the full hat was complete (a little tight and a little short) so the designer tok that into account along with the feedback of the other testers who were having similar issues with hand dyed and adjusted the pattern.

The first hat is still lovely, but just isn’t quite right for me, so I will gift it to a friend with a smaller head.

I was amazed to get 2 hats from a single skein (which was 115g). The firstat only used 45g and the second only around 65g. I reckon if you had th time you could adjust the pattern to make a mummy and me set from a single skein of hand dyed! Wouldn’t that be sweet?

I am so excited to be getting accepted as a tester! It’s real fun and I get to try out new things! I am glad I got started!

(FINALLY) My Last Dance on the Beach

I finished it! I bloody well finished it. My first ever adult sized blanket made solely on my own. Yes, I meant it to be finished by christmas and yes I had to gift it on christmas morning with an IOU of completion but I finished. I am so proud of myself!

Above you can see how it looks when it is fully spread out. Below are some close ups. 



And, of course, some of my cat doing her very best to get in the way of my photos. 



The little bugger! Its almost as if she feels photographs are made for her to show off how beautiful she is, and like she has a duty to put herself in all my pictures!
Anyways, for some reflections on this project. 
My first observation, back when I started this project, saw how lovely and squashy the Scheepjes Colour Crafter yarn is! Boy is it soft. But it is also very sticky – we ended up in a terrible pickle where the yarn had stuch together and got tangled and took 3 experienced yarnies to even partially rescue. That was fun…
I really loved this project though. I feel like it would be perfect to learn new skills, kinda like a sampler. I learnt many new stitches during this project that will definately become part of my regular repetoir. 
I only had two small issues with this project. The first was totally my own fault born out of a pain in the arse coulour choice. The dark purple squares gave me headaches as I was straining so much to see the stitches. 
The other issue was with the wavy square. I just couldnt follow the pattern. All the slip stitching proved too difficult for me so I ended up winging my way to something that vaguely resembled the original design. 
Over all though, I am absolutely in love with thos blanket. And my fiance loves it too – in fact, he is barely seen at home without it draped across him or wrapped around him. And of coudse, the cat loves to snuggle up in it too.